Thursday, February 10, 2011

Psalm 55



            Everyone regardless of status has problems, burdens, and rough times. David’s live was plagued with more trouble than most. He was hunted by King Saul not to mention his dysfunctional family ties to his sons. Like David, most of us can handle rough situations when trouble comes from those we know are out to get us. What happens though when the trouble comes from a trusted friend? In Psalm 55, we see the answer.  
[1] Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication.
[2] Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise;
[3] Because of the voice of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked: for they cast iniquity upon me, and in wrath they hate me.
[4] My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me.
[5] Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me.
[6] And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest.
[7] Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah.
[8] I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest.
[9] Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
[10] Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of it.
[11] Wickedness is in the midst thereof: deceit and guile depart not from her streets.
[12] For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him:
[13] But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance.
[14] We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.
[15] Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.
[16] As for me, I will call upon God; and the Lord shall save me.
[17] Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
[18] He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me.
[19] God shall hear, and afflict them, even he that abideth of old. Selah. Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God.
[20] He hath put forth his hands against such as be at peace with him: he hath broken  his covenant.
[21] The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords.
[22] Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
[23] But thou, O God, shalt bring them down into the pit of destruction: bloody and deceitful men shall not live out half their days; but I will trust in thee.
      
             First, we see in the first verses a coming to God in times of trouble.
 Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication. Attend unto me, and hear me: I mourn in my complaint, and make a noise;
            
                  As I have often reiterated, God hears the pleas of those who are his. That being said, everyone prays. I have no science or data o back that up, but I just know that every person regardless of “belief” or lack thereof will pray. Perhaps not to God, but they will pray. This may offend many of you, but God according to the Word does not hear the pleas from those who are not his children. Look at Isaiah 59:2 as a reference. Anyway, back to the original plan.  We see David praying here. David is broken by life, but through it all, he focuses on the one constant. God. He prays to God. How many of us are quick to proclaim to all who can hear in reality or facebook how life sucks, yet at the same time, we do not stop to pray to God. When someone dies, at the funeral there is always the person that says the obligatory statement, “Don’t take a day for granted. Tell everyone that you love, ‘I love you.’” I don’t think with jobs and other things of life occurring that we can talk to all of our friends and family every day, but think about this: When did you last talk with God? The lord is sovereign and he knows our hearts and thoughts, but prayer is an effective tool that he has designed for us. So when did we last talk to the very One that loves you enough to never forsake you?    
            Now we see why David was praying to God in this particular instance in verses three through eight.
Because of the voice of the enemy, because of the oppression of the wicked: for they cast iniquity upon me, and in wrath they hate me. My heart is sore pained within me: and the terrors of death are fallen upon me. Fearfulness and trembling are come upon me, and horror hath overwhelmed me. And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest. Lo, then would I wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. Selah. I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest.
             
        For those who say you don’t understand The Bible, this is actually pretty simple. God, I’m praying because I’m scared. Everyone is against me. I feel like dying. If I could fly way, I would. Don’t say you haven’t felt like this because I know you have. We all have. Some days we feel like staying under the covers so we don’t have to face the monsters that await. Hold on, wait. Where is David longing to go? Silly question really. It’s not Gulf Shores. Heaven, friends. Heaven.  Amidst his troubles, again, David never loses sight of God because his faith was solid.
        
         Many Christians try to ignore David’s words in the Psalms when said words are vicious concerning his enemies, the enemies of God. All scripture is God breathed so I don’t shy away. Verses nine through eleven are again, straightforward.
Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues: for I have seen violence and strife in the city. Day and night they go about it upon the walls thereof: mischief also and sorrow are in the midst of Wickedness is in the midst thereof: deceit and guile depart not from her streets.
            Sounds like today doesn’t it?
     
       Verses twelve through fourteen show us proverbial thorn hurting. David. Most of us I think can relate. If we have problems with those who are not our friends, we expect them to be um, jerks. The hurt we feel is unbearable when we are betrayed by those closest to us.
For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.

            How many times do idiot people bring shame on the church body because they look from the cross to the carpet’s color, the Lord’s Supper calendar, the financial statements, or the type of music played or not played? David just said his betrayer went into God’s house together! No Christian would ever walk away from any church to another if they kept their eyes on Christ and their mouths shut from criticism, but open to praise and worshipping the One they claim to love. With that being said not to make light of the harsh situation David was in, but when you are betrayed by a friend, think about the pain you feel compared to Jesus. Christ was betrayed by both Judas and Peter. Now, if when you are betrayed the “friend” does not apologize then they most certainly are like Judas. What does Jesus teach about those who betray and persecute us?
            Ahithophel was a counselor of David who betrayed him, and followed after Absalom.
Ahithophel had walked by the side of David. He was a aide, an advisor, and yet he abandoned him, and turned against him to pursue after Absalom. Ahithophel is a type of Judas, and the anti-christ. Though Christ knew what Judas would do, it still must have burdened his heart that he did so!

Verse 15 really unsettles folks. It may because it makes them feel guilty FOR ECHOING David’s sentiments.
 Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.
            Let me connect this statement made by David to the mercy Christ instructs us to show. You may be asking, “What? David just said those who betrayed him can go to hell. What is up?”
First, David knew I believe as Christ later taught that the road to Heaven is narrow. David was speaking about the enemies of God not just those that pursued him. See, friends, one of David’s enemies was King Saul, a man chosen by God to be the first king of Israel. David demonstrated Christ’s compassion and mercy for those against him by sparing Saul’s life not once but twice. He did so stating he would not strike against a man that God had chosen. There have been and will continue to be forces against God and ultimately nations and people that continually reject him until the end are going to hell. Mortal men, though ever so high and strong, will easily be crushed by an eternal God. Those who are not reclaimed by the rod of affliction will certainly be brought down to the pit of destruction. The burden of afflictions is very heavy, especially when attended with the temptations of Satan; there is also the burden of sin and corruption. The only relief under it is, to look to Christ, who bore it.
Verses 16-22 show us what we are to do n times of trouble.
As for me, I will call upon God; and the Lord shall save me. Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice. He hath delivered my soul in peace from the battle that was against me: for there were many with me.
            A friend visited an elderly woman badly crippled by arthritis. When asked, "Do you suffer much?" she responded, "Yes, but there is no nail here," and she pointed to her hand. "He had the nails, I have the peace." She pointed to her head. "There are no thorns here. He had the thorns, I have the peace." She touched her side. "There is no spear here. He had the spear, I have the peace." That is what the atonement of Jesus Christ means for us--He gave of himself so that we might have the peace. Peace. Jesus is also known as the Prince of Peace.

God shall hear, and afflict them, even he that abideth of old. Selah. Because they have no changes, therefore they fear not God. He hath put forth his hands against such as be at peace with him: he hath broken his covenant. The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords.
            God is love. God is merciful. God is JUST. We deserve his justice, but we receive his mercy when we accept the Christ, the grace of the cross, the very love of God in Jesus taking our place on the cross.
            We have the final two verses that point us toward the way.
Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
            The burden that we carry is not ours alone. Give it to God. If we give our trouble to God, we will be sustained. Life is hard and troubles overtake us at times, but God through Christ’s sacrifice has given us victory over those who are against God. Now I know that cynics will say that verse 22 is wrong because “bad” stuff happens to Christians all the time. It isn’t about bad stuff happening to Christians. It is about accepting God’s power in your life and accepting Him. He gets you through it by prayer. Hey unbeliever, you know that you have people, Christians praying for you. Deal with it.

But thou, O God, shalt bring them down into the pit of destruction: bloody and deceitful men shall not live out half their days; but I will trust in thee.

               David finishes this prayer with a strong statement of judgment to come for those who continue to live and die without knowing the Lord God Almighty as savior. Dale Earnhardt, The Intimidator," was approaching the last turn of the last lap of the Daytona 500 when his car was sent head-on into the wall at 180 mph. An autopsy revealed that he died from the force of his head whipping back and forth on his neck, and by the force of his chin hitting the steering wheel. It has been suggested by some that had he been wearing a device designed to support the head and neck in a collision, he may have survived. Earnhart refused to wear the device because it interfered with his ability to drive the car. That choice cost him his life. Those of you who do not believe in Jesus Christ are headed for a terrible collision: a collision with God’s Judgment. Faith in Jesus will save you from this terrible collision. You must decide to make use of what God has offered in Jesus Christ. It will save your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment